By WGPNG on November 8, 2013 in Cooking & Recipes
3,406 total views, 2 views today
- 2- 3 fresh mud crabs
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1-2 long red chillies, finely sliced
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbs Thai fish sauce
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 1 tbs chilli garlic sauce
- Handful pickled green chilies
- Handful fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Place the mud crab in the freezer for 30-40 minutes until asleep, and then plunge quickly into a large pot of heavily salted boiling water. You may need two pots.
- Cook mud crabs for 20-25 minutes, then plunge them into a large bowl of iced water. Remove the claws and legs, and crack them gently. Set aside. Remove shell from the body of the crab, and then extract the crab meat, placing it in a bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a wok over medium heat. When oil is hot, add the garlic and cook for 5 minutes before adding half the sliced chilies and half the sliced spring onions. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice wine vinegar, Thai fish sauce, soy sauce, chillie garlic sauce, 1 cup (250ml) water and grated galangal. Simmer along with the garlic and spring onion for a further 2 minutes to infuse flavours before adding the loose crab meat and the crab claws/legs. Cook for a further 6-8 minutes, tossing often.
- Transfer to a large serving dish and scatter with remaining thinly sliced red chillie and spring onion, and the pickled green chillies, and chopped coriander.
- Serve with rice or on its own.